History

Rail Trail Cafe was opened on September 12th 2008 as Porepunkah’s first stand-alone cafe. The building itself originated as a butcher’s shop in the mid-1950’s, and many locals can remember the days when they used to walk up and buy their weekly supply of meat from the proprietors M. Solly and M. Hall.

Since then the building has reportedly been used as a pet-shop, a yarn shop, an electrical goods store and a holiday house. When Jesse, a chef, and Lucy, a teacher, chose to settle in Porepunkah in 2001, they loved everything about the town. The only thing that they felt was missing was a cafe. So, when opportunity arose, they were delighted to be able to provide the community with its own cafe. Locals and rail trail users are also very happy, and when the sun is out, the bike racks out the front fill up fast! Parents and children alike appreciate the warm, family-friendly environment.